5 Activities to spend your Christmas in Donosti
One of the most anticipated dates for many people has finally come. It’s the arrival time for carols, nougats, lights, gifts and illusion. With Christmas just around the corner there are many visitors who want to experience different holiday spirit and visit other places to soak up the Christmas spirit of these places. If you are staying in our hotel in San Sebastian soon, you have to know that your choice could not be more successful because Christmas is one of those times of the year in which San Sebastián is more magic, more so than in other months. (Image courtesy of planesdefamilia.com)
December is synonymous to traditional markets, decorated streets and squares, dances, children's workshops, banquets and ultimately the Christmas atmosphere. If you're going to be in Donosti during these days, the following 5 points plans is a can-not-miss events for your unforgettable family holidays.
1. Saint Thomas market. This is one of the most deeply rooted Christmas traditions in San Sebastian. On 21 December, the city will turn to a rural market where you can buy all sorts of delicious foods like cheese, honey or vegetables, the main attraction, however, is the txistorra. Does not it make your mouth water just thinking about it?
Image courtesy of bartoloetxea.com
2. Visit Olentzero. If there is a character that cannot miss in a Basque Christmas, that's Olentzero, a mythological coal that delivers gifts to children who have been good all year. Olentzero is therefore particularly Papa Noel in the Basque Country and Navarra. You cannot lose the opportunity to meet this likeable character! From 15:00 and until 20:30 on Christmas Eve, this friendly coal will grace the centre of Donosti to greet the children carrying a waiting year.
Image courtesy of www.eitb.eus
3. Christmas Park for children. Of course, Donosti brings an agenda full of activities for kids in the house, who for sure will enjoy the most during Christmas. So, we recommend visit the Kursaal Centre during the last days of December and let your children to have a great time with many rides, contests, performances, costume parties, etc, to be organized there.
Image courtesy of www.pindonostia.eu
4. The San Silvestre Marathon. Another edition held in San Sebastian's streets, it's the last race of the year, a very exciting for fans of running game. The route will traverse 8,650 meters and areas like the Old, Center or Gros. A very special way to get to know Donostia!
Image courtesy of www.vamosacorrer.com
5. Cavalcade of the Magi. To celebrate the New Year 2016, it is best to attend this event held every January 5. The traditional Procession of the Three Kings will excite the children as well as other ages. It’s the perfect activity to bid farewell to Christmas and more energetic face the dreaded cost of January.
Image courtesy of elpais.com
Enjoy your stay at our hotel in San Sebastian!
I hope you enjoy an unforgettable stay at the Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra.
Do not hesitate to contact our staff if you require any information.
Elena Estomba Garín
General Manager Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra